This is my first year as a member of a CSA (community supported agriculture). I'm keeping track of what I get so that I can tell if I am getting my moneys worth. Each CSA is different so check around for one that works for you.

I'd like to rant and rave about my first trip to the farm. I'll refrain and say this:
I may have gotten lost (thanks to very bad google directions! A real thanks to cell phones and my friend who guided me there!!!), the farm may have not been much to look at (a bit run down and cluttered to say the least!), but... I'm quite happy with my first CSA pick up. The farmer's were friendly and the food was fresh! The farm hand let my girls help him feed the goats carrot greens... that goes a long way to making me happy!
My CSA deducts the amount you spend from your shares. This way you get more choice and if you skip a week or two your not out those shares. I spent $10.25 today and got:
1 baggie of carrots
1 bunch of scallions
a trial size of kale
1 head of romaine
a large bunch of beet greens (some with baby beets)
and a large bag of shelling peas... just like my Nana used to have!
UPDATE: The girls loved the carrots and peas. They loved shelling the peas and eating them raw, just like I use to! I sauteed the kale in butter and garlic but I just didn't like it. The flavor is OK it's the texture, very tough. I tried adding some water and steaming it... it did help the texture a little but still got into my teeth. The romaine, scallions and the few carrots the girls let me have, were added to a yummy salad and the beet greens will be used for tonight's dinner.
No comments:
Post a Comment