Monday, July 20, 2009

Mondays in the garden

No one said gardening was pretty

What with the weather, the black mulch and the chicken wire it's down right gorgeous!! Ha Ha!
It ain't pretty, but it's mine!


I just put the black mulch on today. I was wandering through the hills of Maine this weekend and saw that the best gardens had this under the plants. OK, it might be too late but I gave it a try anyway. I'm having a problem keeping it in place, but maybe it will be better when I water it??

Ready for exciting news??? I found my first white cucumber! I tasted them at a farmer's market last year and loved them. I was excited the same farmer was selling seedlings this spring. I am impressed I have cucumbers. Most of my friends lost their whole crop due to the slugs. I think the zucchini took the hit, I only have 2 sad looking plants... they do have flowers though so maybe I'll get a couple?? I think I'm the only one who has ever killed her squash!!


As skimpy as my tomatoes look, I did find a couple of tomatoes and quite a few flowers. My patio plants will make up for them though, they look great!


My peas are forming! I'm excited!!! I did see that a couple vines were drying up, guess it's getting too hot for them.


I'm not expecting a bumper year for the veggie garden, but it's mine, I grew it myself and I'm proud no matter what happens!
Next week I'll show you the berries I've been finding around the yard! Some I never even knew I had!!



No comments: