Wednesday, November 12, 2008

wishing I had my camera

Boy, do I miss my camera!! The twins were more than comical this morning and I wish I had captured it on film.

The first thing we did was play scrabble Jr. My version is much older than the one in the link... it survived my childhood with most of it's pieces still intact. The words are on the board and you have to fill them in starting with the first letter which has a picture on it. The person to finish the word wins a red dot (we always called them zits but I didn't go there w/ the twins). It is for ages 6 and up however, I knew the girls were ready for it.

I was surprised by their reaction to it. Twin #1 was very nervous. She got upset when her sister had more words finished than she did. She took forever to figure out where to put her letter on the board and couldn't spot where things needed to be. She had a hard time picking the letters because she was afraid she'd pick the wrong ones. She even stated "I just don't know why I'm so panicky today!" After I helped her a few times, she relaxed and even ended up winning.

Twin #2 loved the game. She's really taking off with letter recognition. She could spot a word that needed just one more letter and was winning. She noticed her sister needed help and pointed out ways she could win a word. I was quite proud, this is something we've been working very hard on!

I still think it is at the right level for them. They loved sounding out the words, naming the letters, and taking turns. I think by playing it more often #1 will start feeling more at ease about it.

After the game we noticed the glass coffee table we were playing on needed cleaning. The girls LOVE Windex so they got it out and started cleaning everything! I went on to make beds and gather laundry. When I came back twin #2 was on the sink and had sprayed through the screens and was trying to wash windows! I tried my best not to crack up right there! It wasn't working and there were paper towel pieces in my screen... I didn't get mad, it was way too funny!

We cleaned up after their cleaning (it took a while with all paper towel and puddles of Windex...) and got dressed. Twin #1 took a while to find her red Wednesday dress. She finally found it in a pile (possibly dirty...sssshhhhh) and all was again right with the world. Twin #2 went to school dressed in her own style... including a stretchy headband around her head with a silver and rhinestone bracelet clipped to it... she looked like an princess from India.

As much as they exhaust me, I am going to miss our mornings next year!

No comments: