The Big Seed Purchase:
I'm afraid we've out done ourselves this year! We are doubling the size of the garden and bought a lot of seeds. The Johnny's catalog is filled with little yellow tabs and stars on what we "need". I'm not sure about starting things inside and I don't have a cold frame yet so most of the seeds I'm buying are good in cold weather and can be ground sown... so it says :)
I'm planning on buying my tomato plants... I know those are to be started inside and there is just not enough light for all the plants I want.
The plants that have been chosen are:
Corn: xtra tender
Sugar snap peas: sprint
Cukes: genuine
Lettuce: black seeded Simpson and concept (I'm putting these in flower boxes... who needs flowers??? I want to eat what I grow!!)
Alfalfa sprouts
scallions: White Spear
eggplant: Orient Express
sweet bell peppers: Ace
Jalapeno peppers:
zucchini and yellow squash
and tomatoes! Red Grape, Big Beef and Valley girl... as plants!
We are also going to start a strawberry patch and a grape arbor. I'm going with the smallest batch of strawberries (25!) and 2 grape plants. Other fruit choices are:
Cantaloupe: Sarah's choice
honey dew: honey orange
It doesn't look like a lot when it's written down here. I know I'm missing root veggies... they are cheap and I'm sure the CSA will have a bunch of them for me. I'm also missing herbs... don't worry I'll get a bunch, they are going in flower boxes out back this year. I do have my onion and potato experiment to plant, and the pumpkin seeds from last year. This is so much bigger than last year's tomatoes peppers, cukes, and herbs!!!
Can I tell you how nervous I am about this??? Seeds scare me! The work involved, the failure rate, and the sticker shock. I looked at the order and couldn't believe how quickly they added up. I'm still thinking I should have gone to Skillin's nursery and bought plants. Nice safe seedlings :) What do you think????
7 comments:
Isn't the Johnny's catalog sinful! I was wondering though, maybe to save a few dollars...I have a few concord grapes that I could dig up for you...Like say SIX rooted vines..What do you have to trade? I'd love a few raspberries, asparagus, peonies, lilies, lavender...ummm...what da ya got? Email if you're interested in doing a swap. Lisasews2003@yahoo.com
Smiles,
Lisa
OOOOHHHH.... Let me think about it! My Raspberries need serious help, hosta needs to be divided, and so do the lillies! I have a really busy spring ahead of me!! I already purchased the grapes but I hear the concord ones do better in maine.
The concord's do GREAT. This is a link to a pic of a three year old vine! I had buckets of grapes!
http://s294.photobucket.com/albums/mm114/Lisatwombly/Grapes/?action=tageditmany
We love looking at Johnny's.
We've started ordering from Fedco last year instead. It's the same produce but cheaper cost. The only thing we order from Johnny's directly is a spring mix lettuce. If you try it, you'll never go back to black seeded simpson (says the girl that swore she'd never eat anything BUT black seeded simpson).
Enjoy! We were excited when our seeds arrived and I can't wait to till up the garden!!
I just heard of Fedco... I will check them out for next year.
I chose not to do a spring mix since I had trouble getting the packet from lowe's to grow last year... of course it was from lowe's :) I might try again though... it does sound yummy!!
I usually buy seeds at the local box store, but I'm thinkin' next year I really need to make a catalog order!
Sounds like you've got a great variety!
Amy, this is my first year with a real seed store! Last year it was a lot of seedlings and a few things from a big box store... I'll let you know how it goes!!
Post a Comment