Friday, March 20, 2009

Fab Fridays....

Calendar Spring is here!!! From my years as a preschool teacher and mom in New England I have learned to call today the first day of "Calendar Spring". Why??? Because kids think of spring as trees full of leaves, beautiful flowers blooming, warm air, and butterflies. I have had more than one child come to me very disappointed that the snow did not melt and the leaves and flowers did not pop out overnight!!!!

In Maine, it is now "Mud Season".... Spring as the kids know it, arrives in May. Calendar spring is still a great time of year. Its a time of hope, with the brightly shining sun there is a knowing that warmer days will soon arrive.

We have spent the last week drawing with chalk outside, riding bikes (being sure to peer around the snowbanks and watching out for ice and mud puddles), and blowing bubbles. It's over 30 degrees... spring enough for us!!! It helps that we have a paved driveway and road, as long as they don't step on the little bits of exposed grass there's not much mud...thank god!!

Today, the twins and I went on a Spring Cleaning Adventure!!!!! We took out our bottles of homemade "Go Green Cleaner" (made of equal parts vinegar and water) and our reusable rags and went to town. I cleaned the yucky smelling wood stove and all around it while the girls cleaned the windows, TV's, Baseboards... whatever they could think of... they love to spray!! This is the first time they've actually wiped things well too!! A few streaks remained but that doesn't bother me... as the Flylady says, even cleaning done wrong blesses the family! Boy do I feel blessed! That wood stove smells great when it is running but stale wood smoke is just gross! I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the smell for the longest time. It finally dawned on me that cleaning the dusty soot off everything may just help ;) Yep, I'm a smarty ;) The vinegar really helps neutralize the odor too... after it stops smelling like deviled eggs!!

To end today I again want to wish a Happy Calendar spring to my New England friends, and Happy Spring to the rest of you! For a glimpse of spring that I'm totally Jealous of check out the Pictures Jess at KadyHope took this week. Oh to live in California!!!! LOL!!!

2 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the ideas of things to do with my girls! LOVE your "stained glass" idea! I think I might have to do the gluing at this point, but I'm sure they'd have a blast with the tearing!

I went to school just outside of Boston, and I remember being SO BUMMED that they didn't have daffodils in February like they do back home. lol

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

Glad you liked them! I have a lot of fun with toddler / preschool activities... I have a ton of ideas! You can use whipped cream instead of the shaving cream if they are at that point... or pudding ;)