Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Politics on the 8 year old scale:

They held a 2nd and 3rd grade mock election today and I was luckily enough to volunteer for Sunshine's class as they were making their VOTE buttons. The conversations were priceless!

"Did you hear John McCain is going to make dads go to war if you vote for him"
"Did you know Barack Obama is going to tax us so much we will have to live with my grandma"
"Well, they all lie so how can you decide who to vote for?"
"John McCain is really there for big business"
"Obama is going to help the United States get back on it's feet"
"Mrs. J, will our vote count?? My dad said even people who never vote are going to vote this year"

On and on!!! It was amazing to hear the different opinions and how much these third graders cared about what is going on in the government. The class seemed pretty split between candidates.

I am interested in politics I even watched the debates. I cannot stand arguing over it (yes, I even watched the debates alone to avoid the after debate!) which made it slightly uncomfortable to hear the third grade banter.

I do know who I'm voting for but unless your one of the people my daughter told (Loudly with a big "right Mom") then I'm not telling.

Don't forget to go vote!!

UPDATE: LOL!!!! My daughter is on the phone with her friend "So, do you have any ideas on how to make Obama win? Maybe we can set up a booth on a busy street and have signs??" Geesh my future president is cracking me up!!!!

6 comments:

Jodi said...

Kids never cease to amaze me.

I do have to admit that I can not WAIT for the elections to be over with. I'm so very tired of hearing it in the news.

Anonymous said...

Your kids are the best thing to happen to this election!

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

Thanks! I thought so too!! And I'm with ya Jodi... only one week left... woo hoo!!

Steph said...

I already voted... YAAAAY!!

Leciawp said...

It is interesting how politicized kids are...we rarely if ever talk politics at home, yet my son is very, very interested. As a result, for the first time ever we have yard signs and bumper stickers at his insistence!

PIE said...

We live in a time where our entire country is so politically charged, it is hard for kids NOT to be!

I already voted two weeks ago because I am going to be away for my dads surgery...

I have my fingers crossed in more ways than one! lol

and one more thing...YEAH your kids, we need our ADULTS to be so involved! The are surely to be an asset!