Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Impromtu science and I'm trying something....

OK, some of you may know I do not know how to add links and I have no clue about Html
I'd love some advice!!!
I'm going to try the easy way to add a link... good ol' cut and paste. I wonder if it will actually work???

Today as we were watching Sid the science kid The twins took off on the activity they were showing. This kind of thing happens a lot, not just when we watch TV. If something peaks our interest We stop everything and do a project. It's especially great when it is science / learning based.

Today they were investigating the sense of smell.

I took 4 disposable cups and filled them with "smelly" items. I then covered them with paper and the girls poked holes in the top.

The girls took a good wiff, made a guess and drew what they thought was in the cup.
(I can only find one sheet now but it's a good example)



The items:
1.Peppermint tea bag
2.Garlic
3. Lemon slices
4. Coffee grounds


Their guesses:
1.herbs from the garden
2. The green stuff on Pizza / Pizza
3. Oranges (both thought this quickly)
4. Ewwww... mommy did you put coffee in this one???
(It's checked because she got it right of course!!)


I was thinking the items were obvious and expected them to get them right off but they were pretty close on all of them. Of course they knew the coffee right away. I was fascinated that they liked the smell of the garlic and couldn't stand the coffee! Guess they only got part of my likes.... I love them both!!!

I have done this with them before, but they were younger. It made for a fun morning waiting for afternoon kindergarten. I love having the morning free to do spontaneous stuff!

6 comments:

Rabid Outdoorsman said...

Excellent exercise in brain development! We are always having the little ones (2 1/2 and 4 months) smell different things. Often their reactions are priceless!

Jodi said...

That's a great idea!


For links: when typing a new post, look at your editing bar up at the top. You've got your Font type, size, bold, italics, text color and then link.

If you want to create a link out of your text, this is the easiest way to do it. Select the text, hit the link button and a window pops up. Then just paste your link into that screen, hit ok and VOILA! You've made a link.

Jodi said...

Oh, I too like Sid the Science kid. We only let Monkey watch Sesame Street right now, but when she's a little older and can understand it, I plan on this being an allowed show. :-)

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

Thank you thank you Jodi!!!! I'm going to practice the links!!!!

R.O. Never to early to get them exploring their environment!! I know, the reactions are priceless!! Who knew they couldn't stand coffee???

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

Wooo Hooo!!! I figured out how to do it Jodi!!!! Thank you, Thank You!!

Jodi said...

Great work! :-)