Saturday, September 6, 2008

A LITTLE RAIN AND SOME IDEAS FOR NEXT YEAR

I can't believe I'm even saying this but I'm glad it's going to rain all weekend. Odd statement isn't it?? However, it's true!!

My garden needs it badly! I have been watering but it's not getting deep enough. I planted my leftover lettuce and spinach seeds yesterday and the ground about an inch under was completely dry... after I watered for what seemed like forever. (Yes, I know here in Maine planting now is risky but it's worth a shot... I'm going to buy row cover to protect it and say my prayers!)

Thoroughly soaking the area the lettuce and spinach are in really took work! I dug the area to make it nice and fluffy and then I made a trench for the water and let it soak in. It didn't really take so I mixed it by hand. It was sticky and muddy to say the least!

Next year we really need to add something to the soil to keep moisture in and to prevent it from becoming hard. I was told we have sandy soil but it's almost waterproof and it's forming a hard crust on top. Any ideas on what I can use???

Another thing about next planting season, remind me not to make raised beds!!!! It seems like erosion has caused the dirt to slide back into the walking paths and I have to constantly recover the roots. Yeah, I have really shallow roots. I'm surprised that I have anything growing.

This year was a learning year. We did pretty well (If I do say so myself) and by some miracle we produced enough food to make it worth our while!! My only concern now is that there is enough left for my daisy troop to see next weekend...

No comments: