Thursday, September 18, 2008

End of the growing season is upon us...

The weather girl announced frost warnings and freeze warnings this morning. It's hard to believe. I feel like it just yesterday when I planted my little seedlings.

I will harvest the rest of my herbs and remaining produce today. I will cover the new lettuce with row cover and see if that will save them for a little while.

Since I heard the news I've been reflecting on the past season. I believe my first year was a success. It was definitely a learning process. I know I'll be doing a lot more reading and planning this winter. I'm looking forward to a bigger garden next year ;)

One thing I feel remorse over is that I did not put away food for the winter (as I was hoping) Especially with the economy in such turmoil I feel like I should be squirreling away food for a bad depression era winter. We will survive but I'd feel better with more food in my pantry and freezer! I shouldn't complain though. We did have wonderful fresh veggies and herbs through the summer and made our money back and then some.

Last night was the ultimate garden meal for this household. I made homemade pizza. It came out soooooo good! All garden herbs and veggies, including the sauce!! I also used whole milk mozzarella and freshly grated Parmesan cheese. I was in heaven and ate way too much!!

Yes, I finally made the spaghetti sauce I found on "Living the Road Less traveled" (sorry Jodi I'm not good at HTML). I doctored it up a bit with basil, oregano, and green peppers. It came out very nicely. I was impressed. I froze 1/2 and used the rest for the week. I may have more tomatoes today to make more. We will see.

If your interested in the pizza dough recipe here it is:
I slightly adapted it from the better homes and gardens cookbook.
It makes one thick crust or regular 16 inch or two thin crust 16 inch pizzas (we like it thin)

2 1/4 - 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour (I usually use 1 cup of whole wheat flour for 1 cup white, just do it after the initial beating for the most gluten production)
1 pkg (or 2 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1/4 t salt
1 cup warm water (My mom always said to make so it barely "bites" your fingers)
2 Tablespoons oil
1/4 t garlic salt (opt)
1 Tablespoon dried herbs such as basil and oregano (opt)

In a large mixing bowl add 1 1/4 cup of flour, yeast (dry), herbs, and salts. Add water and oil. Beat with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds, scraping the bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes (don't skimp, more is better, this gets the gluten going)

Stir in 1 cup of additional flour (use a spoon). On a clean board or counter top spread the remaining flour. Place the soft dough in the middle of the flour and knead until it is smooth and elastic. I split it in two balls and leave it to rest while I prepare the ingredients and pre heat the oven and pizza stone (at least 10 minutes)

The rest is up to you. I roll it out as much as I can then toss and spread it until it's very thin. I have one pizza stone and one perforated non stick pizza pan. The non stick takes less time and is more cracker like but they are both delicious!!!!

Enjoy your harvest day and bundle up tonight ;)

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I've got to give my pizza dough recipe another whirl tomorrow.Iif I don't have much luck, I'll be trying yours next week!

You can find the tomato sauce recipe here: http://livingtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/2008/09/tomatoes-need-to-add-pictures.html

I'm glad you enjoyed it! That Martha Stewart sure seems to know what she's talking about, eh?

Good luck getting your veggies in. I just have parsley and tomatoes left. We're attempting just covering them and hoping they make it through the frost.