Thursday, July 31, 2008

The cukes seem to have perservered and other ramblings

I went out yesterday and the cucumber plant has grown a new vine that wraps around the merigolds and has plenty of new leaves and flowers. How did I not notice that before??

I think I made a mistake keeping the big tomato plant (the $15 sure bet) in it's pot on my deck rather than planting it in the garden. The lady at the nursery made it sound like it was made to do just that and would be fine but I wish I would have went with my gut. The leaves have been yellowing for ages now and now that it is producing fruit and that fruit is becoming red I'm seeing even more signs that the plant is just not doing well. I'm sad, but I must say the little guy is giving his best effort!! I wonder if it's too late to transplant it now??? It may go into shock. I guess I'll just use it as a learning lesson.

Outside of the garden, we've been getting the wood in. We had two cords of seasoned wood delivered before we went to vacation and we are finally getting it stacked in the garage before the two cords of unseasoned wood arrives to be stacked outback.

While loading the wheelbarrow with these logs, I'm noticing lots of fungus on the bark. White mushrooms, black (gross greasy looking) mushrooms, and lots of mold. Do you think this could be from sitting in the rain for a week or has it been there since it was cut??? Could all that "stuff" grow that fast??? I don't dare burn it inside, what kind of fumes could it give off?? However it's a shame to lose all that wood!! I just don't know what to do!!

That's it for now... in a nutshell, lots of things are growing around here and most of it is good!!

Happy Thursday everyone!!

No comments: