I may ramble a lot today. So many going ons in this garden of mine!!
First off the blight has now hit the potatoes. I thought so this weekend, but I let it go. Today, I had to pull the plants, not a leaf left untouched. It's so terribly sad. The good news is that I had a few potatoes under those plants! A yummy supper is in the works for tonight!!!

More harvesting news: Three cherry tomatoes from the blighted plant survived!! I have sprayed, quarantined and keeping a good eye on the infected plants. I just want a few more tomatoes and the fruit still looks untouched.
I picked the last of the first crop of lettuce and thinned the scallions some more. I'll be having Salad with the new potatoes tonight :)

Wild raspberries and blueberries surround my property. They are small but oh so yummy!! A fresh fruit compote over ice cream for desert?? Oh I can't wait for supper!!!

What is left in the garden you ask?? Lots of tomato plants (cross your fingers and toes the blight stays off them!!!), small but budding pepper plants, the cukes have taken off like wild fire, squash and zucchini, still struggling honey dew, cantaloupe, and pumpkins, and corn!
This little round ball is in my cucumber patch. Is it just a sad yellow cucumber or a misplaced squash??? Only time will tell I guess!

Look at this happy sight....Corn silk!! The plant is small but I'm still happy!!!! That's what happens when you have a crappy summer, every little good thing makes you smile!!

5 comments:
Oh man! You have had a rough year! But it looks like you'll have a few great dinners coming up!
One reason your blooms may snap off is that at first, pumpkins (and squash and the like) initially put off male blooms. There are several male blooms to every female bloom. Plus, if the female is not pollinated, then that bloom, too, will snap off. Here's a pumpkin(sex) primer, lol: http://www.pumpkinnook.com/howto/pollen.htm
:0) Good luck!
Thank you, thank you Amanda!!!! There are bees on my Hosta, I was thinking maybe they didn't like my garden for some reason. Good to know maybe the blooms were just male. I have some more blooming now, wish me luck!!
The weather has all but killed any motivation I had to start a garden this year and if I had, and then had to deal with Blight, I would have totally thrown in the trowel! So I'll just vicariously live through yours and enjoy the harvest of the local CSA!
It took a long time for my pumpkin to produce fruit, and even then it only made 2 pumpkins, lol. If it makes you feel any better, I just harvested my corn, and it was a whopping 3 inches long! Great, now I can grow 'snack-size' corn, lol. (yes, I did eat it)
Post a Comment