Part 1: Child powered tilling:
How do you pre-till your garden??? A friend of mine had a great idea! She buried pretty stones and dinosaur fossil kits in her garden. Then she invited 20 kindergartners (or should I say Kindergardeners...LOL!!!) to join in an archaeological dig. Most of the kids (including my girls) took off their shoes and thoroughly enjoyed the experience!

You should have seen the reactions to this little party crasher!

How proud the kids were to find the kits! The kits kept the girls busy for two days trying to dig the bones out of the plaster. Oh, look closely, you can see the friendship bracelet that was finished the day before!

Part 2: What not to do
1. Don't plant your seeds just before a downpour. Of course it may not have been a problem if the soil was even. My seeds all floated to one side and settled in the little mud puddles... lucky me!!

2. Don't start corn in pots. It doesn't like it, and I've been told it doesn't transplant well. Luckily I have more seeds I'll start next week!!
Only two learning experiences. (OK... 4 if you count the potato and onion experiment... buy seed potatoes and onion sets... don't use your veggie bowl) but it is still early in the season!! Speaking of early in the season... I'm so thankful I waited to plant my seedlings. There are frost warnings up for Maine tonight!!! I'm going to get out the sheets (since I didn't buy row cover) for the stuff that's out there.Part 3: My first harvest!
It grew in my yard, I picked it, therefore it's my first harvest!!!! It's an acquired taste but I just love early spring dandelion greens sauteed in butter and garlic. Sprinkle a little vinegar just after cooking....YUM!!!!!

3 comments:
I've never tried dandelion greens, though we have enough in our yard I've considered it. lol
I tried bell pepper and parsley starts in my house and they didn't turn out that great. I put them all out in my garden last week. The peppers look like hell, but I think they'll bounce back. The parsley is downright pathetic and I don't think it's gonna survive. So far everything that I've planted directly in the ground is doing wonderfully! Can't wait for my first harvest!
I wonder about my house starts too... some are looking like they really need to come out of their pots! It's all about trial and error right?? Next week is planting time and I can't wait!!
Post a Comment