I can't totally take credit for this craft. It is again a girl scout project! Well, the ponchos... I did come up with the barrette idea. My Brownie leader found the pattern for the ponchos in an old Martha Stewart Kids magazine. It is fun and fairly easy. I see more projects like this in my future, I'm in love with fleece now!!!!
you will need:
for the poncho:
1/2 a yard of anti-pill fleece
Embroidery floss (optional)
Scraps of fleece (optional)
very sharp scissors or rotary cutter
sharp pointy needle with a large eye (and a tiny bit of tape if you need help threading it!)
Last week we took the troop to pick out Anti-Pill fleece ($5.00 a yard at Jo-Ann's fabrics!). At this week's meeting the girls cut out the ponchos. Each "big girl" cut a 29" square of fleece. I cut the twins 24". Fold the square into a triangle. We then (very precisely...NOT) Measured their neck and cut a hole in the center of the fold of the triangle. Remember to cut it smaller than you imagine... you can always cut more you can't add to it if it's too large! (CONFESSION: My first one was a disaster, I had to go back for more fabric before the meeting!!) We cut the hole just so it could go over their heads then cut a little notch in the front.
Didn't they come out really cute???

The morning after the meeting "thing two" decided to add embellishments to her poncho (Note the pretty heart sewn on with embroidery floss). "Thing one" was terribly upset to find she left her poncho at the meeting. I had to think of something for her to do. Here's what I found to work with......
So she made a beautiful "Butterfly" barrette to match her missing blue poncho. They were easy to make once we got the hang of it. (this is how I figured out to use sharp needles and a piece of tape to thread it with. Large eyed upholstery needles just caused frustration!) We cut a butterfly out of fleece (freehand) I then attached the butterfly with embroidery floss weaving in and out of the barrette. She added the additional sewing and pretty pink butterfly.
Sissy wanted one too!!!! So as they were brushing their teeth and the bus was 5 minutes from the house I made her a butterfly too! The fact that the kids were occupied may have also helped speed up the process ;)
I hope you try this one out. Even if you make it for that special little someone instead of letting them help. I think they are adorable!! Enjoy your weekend everyone!!!
3 comments:
Those are adorable!
If you have OCD (or are just anal) like me, using Clip Art for basic shapes is great. Just tape to a window (during the day, of course) under your fabric and trace!
I learned this trick when I did a lot of embroidery. It took the pain out of drawing patterns. :-)
Great idea Jodi!! I thought this project had a lot of potential! I tried my very best not to let my OCD show and let the kids do the work. They were sooo proud! Thing two hasn't taken her poncho off yet!
Love these cute ideas!
Hope you're doing well and enjoying your Sunday! :)
Post a Comment