Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What I like best about winter....

With sub-zero temps lately, and another 12 inches plus snowstorm forecasted for tomorrow I really have to remind myself why I like winter!! My favorite things are (in no particular order):

1. Skiing!! Granted, I haven't gone yet this year... but I do love it! Did you watch the winter x-games? It's amazing what people can do on a pair of skis!


2. sledding... OK, not as much fun as skiing but it's free!


3. Ice skating. The girls received ice skates for Christmas. Next year we are going to build an ice rink in the back yard. I found good instructions here. I'm nervous but tempted to use soule papa's method... it's cold enough that it just might work, and I wouldn't have to wait a year....hummm???? Yes, this is last years picture, but cute none the less! We've had some problems finding a rink... I think we will finally succeed this weekend! cross your fingers!



4. Red cheeks. Oh how I love how my babies come in from playing. I just want to pinch those rosy red cheeks ;)

5. Basketball. No, not on TV!! 5 year olds playing basketball is so much more fun! They haven't shot baskets yet but I could still watch them all day long.
6. Ice Fishing!! We took the girls for the first time last year. If you've never been I recommend finding a kids derby near you. They are lots of fun and the one near us gives the kids a free trap. This is how we ended up ice fishing last year... so much more exciting than watching a trap ;) They are very excited to go again this year!!

7. Hot cocoa We go through a lot of hot cocoa in this house. Every day our after school snack includes a nice mug of hot cocoa. Really, is there anything better???

8. Sugar plum fairy tea. No, it's not better than hot cocoa... but when your trying to loose those extra holiday pounds you can't have cocoa every day! This celestial seasonings herbal tea is only sold during the Christmas season. Last year I couldn't find it and I was grumpy all year (yes, really). This year I bought 5 boxes!!! It's that good!!

9. Making snow men and snow forts.... and snowball fights! This year hasn't been the year for snow men. We've been getting really fluffy snow (that's what happens when it snows at -1*F). I'm still hoping for my annual snow family scene in the front yard.

We did buy a great snow fort / snow ball kit from LL Bean. (you'll have to look at Christmas, they are not listed on the website anymore) We've only made one fort so far... but today we realized we can make snowballs out of the fluffy snow!! They don't hurt as much either.

10. Thoughts of spring!!! Yes, it's the only thing that truly pulls me out of my cabin fever. Only 60 more days until the official first day of spring!!!! Daffodils, crocus, riding bikes, blowing bubbles.... I can't wait!!!!

No comments: