Saturday, May 10, 2008

The garden has been dug!



Today we finally dug the garden!
What a job that was! It was comical to say the least! We rented a sod cutter so my husband cut the area using a tarp as a template. It came out much bigger than we realized but hey, more room to spread out!!

Then it was time to get the kids involved! We picked rocks! It was so fun to watch their different styles. Daddy told them they could earn 1 penny for each rock. This got Sunshine very excited! She counted every rock she picked... 1042 so she says! The twins went about this activity differently. #1 picked up the rocks, looked at them for their beauty, sorted them by size, and gave them as gifts. #2 decided she wasn't really into picking rocks so she helped with shoveling compost. I love watching how they do things!!!!

Then the girls went in for lunch. Daddy used the rototiller and then we picked more rocks!!! Wow, were there a LOT of rocks!!!!!


We tested the soil and it was very acidic so we shooed off the kids and added a bunch of lime and our home grown compost (Watch for a blog about this stuff!) and rototilled again!!!

It looks soooo good now!!!!! It was a ton more work than I realized (especially since we also tackled the drainage trench around the house at the same time) but I'm so glad we did it....I can't wait to plant!!!

No comments: