Sunday, October 18, 2009

Summer entries need their closure...

Hi friends. I put the garden to bed today. What a depressing year. By the end of the season I was just not into gardening anymore! Maybe a winter will change my mind but I'm not so certain.

Our harvest was better than I had expected. we harvested roughly:

30 peppers, including about 10 jalapenos (which we had a ton of last year)
20 tomatoes (yeah, that includes cherries and grapes! What a year!)
lots of herbs! I have dried enough basil and oregano to give as gifts. I have made 2 batches of pesto. I only have enough thyme and rosemary for my own usage but I am still pleased.
a good 4 lbs of lettuce was harvested throughout the year
Corn... well, we ate 3 weirdly shaped, small ears of corn... but the stalks look cute around my mailbox ;)
Potatoes: were harvested early, I had what 10? 15??
Scallions: I had more than enough!
Not one zucchini!!!! OMG!!!
Squash: 15 or so rather small. All from one plant
Cukes: about 20 throughout the season
Cantaloupe: only 2 that were edible size. Quite yummy!
Honey dew: 1 good sized one
Pumpkin: 1 and it hasn't turned colors yet. So disappointed!

I think that's it?? Oh no strawberries or grapes. Maybe next year. There's always hope for next year!!!

About the CSA... it was a bust for my family. My hubby was right, it was just too far away to become part of the routine. I just couldn't get there when I needed to. I think last week was the last day of operation. I probably left $50 on the table. OOPSIE! Lesson learned! I won't try that again next year.

Here's to winter dreams of next years growing season!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which CSA did you use? We're thinking of trying Rippling Waters out in Steep Falls.

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

we used Pleasant valley farms in cumberland. I wasn't 100% impressed but I didn't get over 1/2 as much as I wanted to, it was just too far out of the way. I didn't know about rippling waters, let me know how it is.