The Big Dig:
No, I'm not discussing my thoughts on the huge mess down in Boston! That would be a blog all on it's own!!!
This weekend's 60 degree weather, no rain, and very few commitments added up to a lot of progress in the garden!
We dug the expansion... the new garden now takes up almost all of one side of the house. Plenty of room for all the goodies we've planned. The girls again spent a full day picking rocks for a penny each. We probably won't have time to rent a rototiller until after Easter but that's fine. We are still way ahead of the game (for us anyway).
I took a few temp readings and the ground was 50 degrees. I'm going to take a few more readings during the week then I may start planting my cold hardy seeds... with row cover at night of course!!
We also raked the yard (the parts without snowbanks), burned some brush, cleaned out and edged the flower beds. I may be going to the gym now but I'm still so out of shape! All that yard work (and bike rides, soccer games, and other outdoor kid adventures) made me feel muscles I haven't felt in a while! Thank goodness for ibuprofen!!!
I know I promised an update on the experiments. I wanted to add pictures but I just haven't gotten around to it yet so that will have to wait until next week. Another sneak peek for next week... I've decided to start my seedlings inside!! Til then, stay dry in all the expected rain, enjoy all life brings, and plant something!!!
6 comments:
Wow! Great work! I can't wait to get started. Our garden still has a little snow on it, but most melted last week.
I told you last week we order our lettuce from Johnny's and said it was spring mix. I'm going to blame this on pregnant brain and the fact I had just bought a bag of spring mix at the grocery store.
We actually plant the All Star Gourmet. (I've been wanting to tell you that all week and keep forgetting. lol)
You are too funny!! Ours had snow on it on Wednesday and it was warm and ready to go by Sunday... I was shocked!! I bet after all this rain yours will be ready too!!
This weekend was supposed to be THE weekend to plant here in my area, but since we were all sick last week I spent the weekend getting caught up on housework instead. Oh well, I guess there's always next weekend.
I'm dying to get stuff in the ground!
Wow Amy, that's early!!! I'd love to plant now, even the cold hardy stuff needs row cover. Here our planting season starts memorial day weekend. Gotta love Maine!!
Hope you guys are finally feeling better!!!!
I've been taking soil temps, too. :)
Lovely snowdrops!
Thanks Stephanie, I love them too! Flowers this early just make me happy!!! We took it upon ourselves to rename them "Snow Glories" thanks to the Henry and Mudge books by Cynthia Rylant.
Post a Comment